Wednesday 11 April 2012

Day 43 of 90

The fact that I need to modify my moves tells me that there is room to grow.

Today's Workout: Workout 7

I can understand why this workout is a favourite.  It feels like it finished in fifteen minutes.  One circuit suddenly became the next, then the next... the cardio's were manageable.  One move at a time.  I will tell you this about circuit 1 in the workout, it's hard.  I modified each of the moves... well, perhaps one of the four I didn't.   This circuit was very shoulder and chest-intensive.  Push ups and planks are the key words here.  Not straight-up push ups and planks, but dynamic ones, with one leg, crawls and lifts.  Intense!  I was able to begin each move unmodified, but after a few reps needed to put a knee down.  Needed to?  Okay, that's up for debate.  I felt like I needed to, but knowing what to expect I am going to push through next time to see if I can maintain this circuit without modifying.

There was good use of the resistance cable here.  No rubbing uncomfortably, and quick to feel the burn in my arms.  In fact, my shoulders are still feeling it.  I used my 5lb and 7lb weights here.  Jillian asked me to grab light weights for one move, but I used my mediums (the 5lb).  The move was a one-leg extension with shoulder presses.  I did it all baby, no mods!

And, I can't lie to you, my faithful readers.  The rumours are true!  This is intensive ab work.  Each workout can be modified to be harder or easier.  I made it harder when ever I could.  Imagine this:  laying on my back, arms bent at 90 degrees for chest presses with my heaviest weights (7lbs).  As I raise the weights I am also raising my straightened legs from 1 foot off the floor to about 80 degrees, then they both come down together.  This is how the workout finishes, on a circuit that is ab intense, but enjoyable.

Am I now pumped for Workout 8?  You bet'cha!

Something else was new today, along with my new workout, I am eating a few more cals.  When I weighed myself this morning, I was down to 171.5.  That is the lowest I've been to date since beginning my weight loss.  Let's see how the trend continues.

It's a bit of a challenge to take in enough calories, since I'm looking for clean cals.  On exercise days, I am looking to have net calories of about 1700.  This means I am consuming about 2000 cals.  That's quite a departure from the meal plan.  So to consume enough, I add a bit to each of my meals, and I added a snack to my mid-morning, with lunch a touch later.  This means that I am eating every 2-3 hours.  I am not ever ravenous or hungry.  No binging.  I am eating the way I should be eating regardless of whether I weigh 170lbs or my goal weight of 148.  This is it.

 



Breakfast was Turkey Bacon with a Poached Egg and a Blueberry Banana Muffin... and a coffee.  Total cals here are 370.

I also took in a chocolate strawberry protein shake after my workout.  This was 185 cals, but very satisfying since it takes about 20 minutes to slurp.



Lunch was my regular special of the week --> the Tomato, Avocado and Cheddar pita... Oh so good!  It's like biting into a juicy donair only without the spicy meat.  Fresh chewy pita, and salted tomatoes with avocado... this is a must try, and at only 309 cals.

 

This kept my going until late into the afternoon, about 3:30, when I had a freshly baked Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffin with a non-fat latte.  Cals here are 331.

  

I snuck dinner in before my council meeting, by having what the kids were eating -- chicken nuggets and a handful of fries.  I had 6 nuggets with honey for dipping, and total cals for dinner were about 520.  If I hadn't eaten so well today, I may have been hungrier and wanted more of this high cal dinner, but I was satisfied.  No pic here.

After council I came back and had a 6oz glass of white wine and a mini cadbury creme egg for 175 cals, and that tops off my day.  Net cals are just under 1700.  And that's a lot of food.

I'm questioning my whether I am doing the right thing with respect to increasing my cals, but I think I have nothing to lose at this point.  I am eating more, and certainly feeling more satisfied, and I feel like I am a big girl able to make my own decisions about the food I eat.  I am watching my carbs, fats and proteins, as well as my sugars to stay within acceptable levels.  Day one is a success, and I feel like I will sleep well tonight.  I must remember, I am still eating less than what my body will use in the day, so I will still lose weight.  Only I will be doing it without risking starving my body.

If you are interested in seeing what your BMR is, and how many calories you should be consuming daily, I would recommend using the site fat2fitradio.com.  Click on 'All Calculators' and select 'Military Body Fat Calculator'.  Once that is known, select BMR and fill it in to determine your BMR as well as your total daily calorie recommendation.

I'm off to have a sound sleep... after feeding baby of course.

Nighty night,
Peach

2 comments:

  1. Great progress today Jessica. Yes, it's challenging to find enough healthy food to meet your calorie goals. I'll be following you to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That calculator wants me to eat about 2200 calories per day when I'm active. That would actually be difficult I think. I usually plan for around 1300 and nibble my way to 1500. And then go bananas on the weekend. Ill be reading to see how this goes for you. Always nice to hear about a new podcast too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete