Thursday 5 April 2012

Day 37 of 90

My kids see me exercising and want to exercise with me.  I am showing them the importance of physical activity.

Today's Workout: Workout 6

Before I get into the workout, I wanted to talk about a conversation I had last night with other MFP members.  It began with a posted question asking what the net caloric intake is for those who had lost weight quickly.  [Recall: Net caloric intake is total calories EATEN less total calories BURNED through exercise]  While I believe I haven't lost weight too quickly, it has been steady at 2 to 3 pounds per week.  Using MFP, I can pull a report that shows my net caloric intake for the last 30 days.  I did so and found that my average intake is around 800 calories per day, with a range between 500 and 800 on most days.

After posting this, I received two comments directly pointed at me and how unhealthy it is to have less than 1200 calories per day.  Of how this is leading me down an unhealthy path and can do harm to my body.  I would like to remind all of you of the importance of balanced eating.  It is vital that we have three meals per day, and one snack preferably, with total caloric intake (the EATING of FOOD) of at least 1200 calories.  You will attain this by following Jillian Michaels menu plan.  Under the plan, in terms of exercise, it is between 26 and 36 minutes of INTENSE give-it-all-you've-got circuit training.  Total calories burned  are approximately 325 to 400 calories, depending on the intensity and your weight.

Now, in order to lose 1 pound per week, you need to reduce your caloric intake (without the consideration of exercise) by 500 calories per day.  By calculating your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and adding to that a certain amount based on your daily activity level, you can determine how many calories you need to consume in order to lose that one pound per week.  To lose 2 pounds per week, you need a 1000 calorie daily deficit.  MFP has this calculation built into their Goals template.  Note that MFP does not recommend losing more than 2 pounds per week.  Enter Jillian -->  Jillian is tough.  She wants your body to change, and she wants it done fast.  Under her plan, you will consume enough calories to lose those 1 to 2 pounds per week, but then she wants your body to get stronger, to build muscle so that your body becomes a fat-burning machine.  You are setting yourself up with habits that will follow you when the program is over.  When it is over, you will not be working out so hard, but you should be continuing to eat well and following her food recommendations.  So under Jillian's plan, your exercise calories are meant to burn fat.  You may get comments, but this is temporary.

So in response, I would like to say that this program is meant to create change in your life, but is not meant to be a way of life.  It is 90 days, and then it is over.  So there will be people who say this is not good for you, that it is unhealthy, but it is a program.  It has a beginning and an end, and the point is to change your body so that at the end you have the tools to eat better and a body that is lean and efficient.

MOVING ON.  My workout was perfect today.  I did it with William and the cat.  I was in a rhythm.  Hardest parts were the Rockstars and the Windmills (due to pain in my hips with the rotations).  Running Man was not too bad.  I just watch Jillian, and listen to her talk, and the time passes.  I feel like I am in that room with her, and all I have to do at that moment is move.  By the end, I am ready to crash, and my body feels great.

In terms of food, I was bang on today.  Breakfast was a Blueberry Banana Muffin with a coffee (no pic, but posted in the past).  Lunch was one of my new favourites, partly because there's no meat to cook... the Cheddar, Avocado and Tomato Burrito with a Spinach Salad with Pomegranate and Sunflower Seeds.  Oh So Good.




For snack, I had burned lots of calories today, since I play volleyball on Thursdays and we are now in the Semi-finals of playoffs.  We won our games tonight meaning we play in the finals next week!  I also took a long walk to the grocery store with the kids this afternoon, so I thought it would be good to have a good hearty snack.  I chose an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip muffin with a non-fat latte.  The caffeine does me good, as does the bit of chocolate. Yum.

For dinner I had leftover Mediterranean Lamb Burgers with Cucumbers and Creamy Yogurt Dressing.   For those who follow me, you might say to yourself, "Funny, I don't recall Peach having this earlier in the week".  And you're right!  This was the dinner I skipped a couple of nights back due to my binge eating.  It is a quick dinner to make, as the burgers cook for about 10 mins, and the salad involves slicing cucumbers and mixing the five or six dressing ingredients.  It is satisfying, with great flavour combinations.  We like to put the dressing on the lamb burger as well as on the cucumber, so we serve dressing on the side.


After returning from volleyball tonight, I did have a glass of red wine.

And so concludes this day.  Tomorrow I hit Cardio 2 again.  Give me strength for this one!

Nighty night,
Peach


4 comments:

  1. Blah to them keep up the good work, and did you get a video of the cat mine never lifted a paw unless there was a bug or treat in it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you listen to Jillian's podcast? In the latest one she talked about starvation diets and touched on this. 1200 per day even with exercise is not a starvation diet. It's different physiologically to eat 1200 and burn 400 than it is to just eat 800. You're obviously doing just fine. Keep up the good work. Everyone wants to think they're an expert but if you have energy and your hair isn't falling out then keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...a glass of red wine." Good girl! you still have to live life :) Keep up the good work - Great game last night. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing awesome!! I especially love your quote at the top about your kids watching you & wanting to exercise, too. That has always been such a great motivator for me - - leading by example. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete