Sunday 11 February 2018

FHHM - Week 5 Update and Results

Five weeks in already, hard to believe!  And now just three weeks away from my return to work. Yikes!

We had something of a cold or flu pass through the house this week.  William came home from school just after lunch on Tuesday; Isaac stayed home on Wednesday; and Geoffrey stayed home on Friday!  I'm grateful that I was able to stay home with them and not yet worry about juggling sick days while working.

Madeleine loves her red car





The Workouts

The family continues to be so supportive of my exercises! Even jumping in and doing them with me.

Monday had me complete 50 burpees.  While I tried to complete them all doing the standard unmodified version, I found I had to modify after the first 10.  To modify, I lowered myself to my knees and then moved into a pushup and back up again.  It took my about 8 minutes to complete them all.  Afterwards, Paul even decided to give it a go and completed five!

Tuesday was a circuit that consisted of 20 seconds pullups, 20 seconds squats and 20 seconds pushups, for a total of twelve rounds.  This was a nice workout to complete as each move can be modified to suit any athletic ability.  For the pullups, I used the overhang of the counter as my overhead and lifted my body up towards the counter.  For the pushups I completed them on my knees to modify.

Wednesday was a great workout!  It was a 1km time trial performed twice, with a ten minute stretch in between.  The goal was to improve the time between the two runs.  I completed the first km in 6:45 and the second one in 6:30.  This was done outdoors and the roads were quite snow-covered so I am happy with my results.

Thursday was my rest day but also my volleyball day.  The game was tough and we ended up losing in the fifth and final set.  What a game!

Friday was another double, starting with sprints (10 sec) followed by a 2 minute rest, for a total of 10 rounds.  I did this one outdoors again.  I found that it wasn't enough of a workout to just run hard for 10 seconds, so after the first three rounds I modified so that the first 2 minute rest was a jog/run and I rested after the second sprint.  This was much better for me and I enjoyed it.  The second part of the workout was playing at the playground with the kids, but with the weather all the structures are off limits and I didn't want to bring the kids to Cosmic adventures, so I passed on the second part of the workout.

Saturday was the 5K time trial!  This was the first time I completed in outdoors, again in the snow.  At one point I was able to run on some clear road which was so nice.  But for the most part it was in rough snow.  I thought my result were great considering the environment.

 Week 1 5K - 38:00  
 Week 2 5K - 35:58
 Week 3 5K - 35:32 
 Week 4 5K - 34:50
 Week 5 5K - 35:50

The Food

I've fallen into a yummy breakfast trap of bacon and eggs.  Some days I make a little omelet using fresh veggies and herbs that I have on hand, but most mornings I like the ease and quickness of good ol' bacon and eggs.
Leftover taco made into salad with chicken, yum!

I've tried a few new recipes from Suzanne Ryan's book, including alfredo broccoli with chicken.  So easy and very yummy.  On Tuesday this week I made tacos for the family.  I was able to enjoy my taco by making cheese taco shells.  Simply made, the only ingredient is grated cheddar.  I place little piles of the cheese onto parchment paper on a baking sheet and cook for 8 minutes or so at 400C.  Once they come out of the oven they are placed over the wooden handle of a spoon to cool into taco-shell shape.  They have a wonderful crunch and I didn't miss the regular taco at all.

Tonight, we're having some nice steaks with asparagus and I've made little individual cheesecakes for the family.  I love being able to share the food with the family and they seem to like it, too.


The Results

My weight is up a bit from last weeks results, however, when I look at the weekly averages I am consistently down 2 to 3 pounds on average so am not disappointed in this weeks results.  Progress is progress!  I certainly feel more toned and agile, and am continuing to lose inches.



Hope you all have a fantastic week ahead.  Looking forward to valentine's day, I hope you all get spoiled by those you love.

Peach


2 comments:

  1. Umm. Excuse me...almost 18 inches total lost in the last 5 weeks. That is awesome. You are really doing well on this program Jessica. Keep it up! Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on week 4 and just gained in the last few days although I've lost 7lbs overall- its really great to see that you were losing inches whilst gaining! I made the mistake of not measuring so I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete