Monday 15 January 2018

Day 11 - Fit Healthy Happy Mum

The Workout

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from today's workout, but it was a double.

The first workout consisted of performing rounds of squats and pushups until failure.  While it doesn't sound like much fun, it's really good at building resiliency.  I could do lots of squats before my muscles gave out, and pushups I managed to eke out five before my arms couldn't push any more.  But that's better than I thought I would do.  I did my workout while M napped in her swing this morning.

The second part of the workout was for all the runners out there.  It consisted of 600m runs followed by a two minute rest, and repeating that for six to eight times.  I ended up going for the full 8 repetitions, which took a total of 55:00 minutes (including five minutes for warmup and another five for a cool down).  Total distance traveled was 7km!  Each round of 600m took me about four minutes based on my pace.  It was a really great run!

Since I went to the gym to do it, I was able to follow it up with a massage in the massage chair.  Those things are really quite good if you've got knots in your back.  Ten minutes and I felt more limber.

The Diet

For food, I stayed on the extreme diet (meaning it's mostly lean meats and green veggies).  However, I've been reading up a lot on the Keto diet which the program will eventually flow into once the 8 weeks is over.  I've seen a lot about it recently, even Kelly and Ryan had a session talking about it.  The lady they had on speaking about the diet was a woman (Suzanne Ryan) who tried everything to lose weight her entire life, weighing just about 300lbs at her max.  She was at a total loss and didn't even think this new Keto diet would work.  She touts this as being more than a diet though, because it is.  It is a lifestyle change.  You've got to be willing to cut out the carbs and accept eating high fats (strangely hard to accept when we are conditioned to cutting out fat in order to lose weight!).

So on this program, she lost 100lbs, then another 20lbs and she's never felt better.  She's not the only person I know who has seen such great success on this program.  A friend of mine also started her transformation in January of 2017, and she's also lost well over 100lbs in the past year.  She exercises a lot, but also follows the Keto diet.

The difference between these two ladies is one exercised while the other didn't, yet they both saw results.  There is much to say about the diet, but the biggest advantage even I've noticed so far is that my food cravings have gone away, which is one of the largest obstacles I face when looking to change my diet.  The exercising part is easy, it's just physical, but it's so hard to stop wanting to eat all the yummy gooey food there is out there!

I am going to finish off this week doing the extreme.  If I continue to see good results like this (being even better than I hoped for) I will look to reduce the extreme and opt for the regular keto diet.  I don't need to go too crazy here!  I picked up Suzanne's book which continues to provide me some inspiration to keep going, and will be happy to share my thoughts on some of her recipes as I get going.

That's it for now.  Another double workout tomorrow!

Nighty night,
Peach

No comments:

Post a Comment